Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Kevin!

Kevin turned a whopping 32 years old on Monday! I was feeling bad because he had already bought himself a great birthday present (this happens often), and I didn't know what else to do for him. He bought himself a new engine for his nitro rc truck. (For those of you that don't know Kev, he is VERY much into this truck.) Here it is in all it's glory. lol.



So Monday morning he left for work, and Autumn and I sat around wondering what we should do for him. We didn't have a lot of cash because Takoda's birthday is right around the corner and we had to special order his present early. Soooo as we are sitting around, I get a craving for some fruit. Kevin and Autumn had picked some blackberries the other day, and I was really dissapointed when I got to the fridge and saw that they were all gone. Then it suddenly hit me..... Kevin the other day had said "Man, these are good blackberries, you should make a pie!" Of course he probably wasn't serious at the time, but given my craving and the challenge.... I was like "That's it!" lol. So Autumn and I went to go pick some blackberries.
We didn't get messy because there were spiders and bee's everywhere. lol. We must have looked pretty silly stading a mile away from the bushes and streching toward them like they had plague or something. lol. Anyways it was a labor of LOVE! Because of the scary bugs we were forced to only pick exactly what we needed for our pie. :)
I was housesitting for my mom and dad because they were on vacation so we took the berries back to their house and made the pie there. I always make my pies from scratch, but it had been over a year since I had made one, and this was definitely the first time we had actually picked the berries. :) Autumn and I made it together, and it turned out just fine. I had a few breaks in the lattace work, but all in all not bad for being rusty. My next one will be better. :)
Kevin went straight to our place after work, so Autumn and I carefully transported our pie all the way home (while it was still hot even.) When we walked in the door with his pie he was so happy and surprised. I think he was pretty impressed we actually picked the berries too! It was basically a free pie because I used my mom's flour/sugar/lemons/shortning. (Thanks mom!) So we had a quick dinner and were really excited to dig in to our hard work! I stopped at Fredy's and bought ice cream and candles and we were ready to roll. :)
We enjoyed every minute of it! LOL. I saved a peice to bring back to my sister Jenni because she had been home all day at my mom's while I baked it, and the whole house smelled so good I felt guilty not letting her have some! :) It was tres bien!!! Happy Birthday to my wonderful Hubby!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Pie is so much better than cake, nice work! It looks like he had a fantastic birthday.